Mission: Enhancing Student Lives through transformational experiences that emphasize recovery, unity and development.
We encourage students to use self-awareness to explore their relationship with Alcohol and other Drugs (AOD) and shape personal behavior to better navigate campus life and adhere to the spirit of the University of Alabama Capstone Creed. Students who determine that abstinence based recovery is their desired path find a safe, encouraging and supportive environment in our Collegiate Recovery Community.
All student consumers and community members experience programming that is crafted upon the department mission of recovery, unity and development as well as the following guiding dimensions of wellness:
- Spiritual – Recovery and self-awareness are enhanced by exploration of meaning making and one’s connection to a power greater than self.
- Social – Developing and maintaining a healthy community that emphasizes positive communication, celebrates diversity and encourages relationships that result in a sense of connection. Peer mentoring and group work support this dimension.
- Academic – Assessment and exposure to skills that enhance performance in the campus setting including specialized academic advisement and development of study time-management strategies.
- Physical/ Nutritional– Encouraging awareness of self as a physical being whose health is connected to physical activity and sound nutritional guidance and planning. Evidenced based nutrition that supports recovery and development of cooking skills are developed in hands on demonstration workshops. Healthy sober activities and individualized exercise plans are utilized.
- Psychological – Self Awareness, personal empowerment and resilience are characteristics developed via counseling, group counseling and psychoeducational group work.
- Career – Understanding the importance of career planning and identity development are explored as well as preparation for field work, internships and graduate study.
- Financial- AOD use and long term chronic addiction impact financial security in many ways. Developing a skill set surrounding financial security is critical for overall success.